The Napier Eland was a British turboshaft or turboprop gas-turbine aero engine built by Napier & Son in the early 1950s. The Eland was first tested in 1953 in a Vickers Varsity aircraft. Further flight proving was carried out from 1955 using the first production Airspeed Ambassador 2.
The Eland was used to power various aircraft including the Westland Westminster heavy-lift helicopter, the Canadair CL-66; a turbine-powered version of the Convair CV-340 for the Canadian military (later converted to Allison T-56 propjets after a number of engine failures), and the Fairey Rotodyne gyroplane. In the Rotodyne, the Eland powered the tractor propellors for forward flight and a compressor, via a clutch and shaft arrangement, to feed the rotor tip-jets with compressed air for vertical flight.
The Eland was dropped from production when Napiers was acquired by Rolls-Royce Limited in 1961.