Curtiss D-12 / V-1400
The Curtiss D-12 was an aero engine of 18.8 litres capacity. It was a water-cooled V12, producing 443 hp (330 kW) and weighing 693 lb (314 kg). It was designed by Arthur Nutt in 1921 with enbloc type jacket construction in two banks of six each. The cylinders were of heat treated hydraulically forged carbon steel with the head end closed.
Four interchangeable tulip valves seating directly in each cylinder head. The crankshaft was carried in eight bearings. The gear assembly is removable as a unit. The pistons are ribbed head type aluminium alloy. The connecting rods are master and articulating.
An accesssories costing extra was the Eclispe hand inertia starter.
The The Curtiss D-12 was used in the Curtiss CR-3 for the 1923 Schneider Trophy race. In racing trim the V-1400 D-12 gave 619 hp, against the normal 435 hp.
Fairey Aviation of England imported 50 Curtiss built examples in 1926, renaming them the Fairey Felix.
Type: 12 cylinder 60 deg V, direct drive water ooled
Rating: 435 hp (330 kW) at 2300 rpm
Displacement: 1145 cu.in (18.8 liters)
Compression ratio: 5.3-1
Bore: 4 1/2 in (114.3 mm)
Stroke: 6 in (152.4 mm)
Length: 56 3/4 in (1441 mm)
Width: 28 1/4 in (717.5 mm)
Height: 34.75 in (882.6 mm)
Weight: 680 lb
Fuel consumption: not more than .53 lb/hp/hr
Oil consumption: not more than .015 lb/hp/hr
Lubrication: pressure and scavenging pumps
Ignition: 2 Scintilla
Carburation: 2 Stromberg Dual type NA-Y5-F
Spark plugs: 2 per cylinder B.G.