Main Menu

TsAGI A-4

tsagi_a-4


Designation from Avtozhir (autogyro), decree by NII VVS 1932 for all-Soviet autogyro, and preparations for production organized forthwith for use as military trainer and observation machine. Design led by N.K.Skrzhinskii using known Cierva technology, regarded as minimal risk. Structure similar to 2-EA but single fin, more power, dual controls. First flight 6 Nov 1932, second flight three days later resulted in unexplained rotor vibration and loss of lift, with heavy impact on ground despite maximum power. Production had begun and frantic research with different rotors eventually yielded satisfactory machine, passing NII tests late 1933. Ten delivered 1934 (possibly a few more later) and served as trainers and in field manoeuvres.

A-4
Engine: 1 x M-26
Rotor diameter: 13.0m
Span: 6.7m
Length: 7.2m
Weight empty: 1065kg
Fuel+oil: 95+20kg
Weight loaded: 1365kg
Max speed: 176km/h
Min speed: 50km/h
Ceiling: 4100m
Range: 185km
Take-off run: 70-100m
Landing run: 3-10m

 

 


Copyright © 2017 all-aero. All Rights Reserved.
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU General Public License.