Main Menu

Zeppelin LZ-5 / Z.2
 
Within hours of the news of the loss of the LZ-4 appearing in the papers a spontaneous outpouring of popular support in what he was trying to achieve was demonstrated by the German people. From all over the nation money and promises of donations came flooding in to Friedrichshafen, and within a short time more than 6 million Marks (£5 million) had been subscribed.
 
With the loss of the LZ-4 the army demanded an immediate replacement, for this purpose the old LZ-3 was taken in hand and enlarged and equipped with more powerful engines. At the same time work began on the new LZ-5, which was of similar size but again with more power than its predecessor, with a capacity of 530,000 cu.ft and combined propulsive output increased to 220 hp.
 
The Kaiser, watchful of the count’s growing popularity with the German people, proposed a board of trustees to manage the money Zeppelin had accumulated. The count countered this suggestion by forming the Zeppelin Foundation as a charitable body to continue research into dirigible flight, whilst separately in September 1908 establishing the Luftschiffbau Zeppelin GmbH.
 
Carl Berg’s son-in-law, Alfred Colsman, was installed as managing director, which allowed the count to continue his development work with the minimum of interference from the government and army sources.
 
LZ-5 was completed in May 1909 and undertook a proving flight of thirty-seven hours covering 603 miles during the course of which, whilst on the way to Berlin, it encountered adverse weather conditions causing it to make a forced landing at the village of Göppinggen near Ulm.
 
During this manoeuvre the LZ-5 hit a tree, severely damaging the bow section and deflating the forward gas cell. Despite this serious damage, temporary repairs were effected by removing the damaged ffirward section and after jury rigging the outer cover over the damaged area the crippled airship was flown 95 miles back to Friedrichshafen.
 
In due course the LZ-5 was fully repaired and subsequently delivered to the army as the Z-2, where it served successfully until the outbreak of the war, being further modified and lengthened while in service.
 
 
 
 


Copyright © 2019 all-aero. All Rights Reserved.
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU General Public License.