Main Menu

Tissander Airship
 
In 1882 the Tissander brothers built a 92 ft long airship. At 37,000 cu.ft capacity, it was powered by a Siemens electric motor of 1.5 hp driving a primitive two-bladed airscrew, which drew its power from twenty-four bichromate of potash cells weighing 500 lb, contained in the car suspended by netting below the fuselage.
 
The first trial took place on 8 October 1883 when, despite a fair breeze, a measure of control was achieved with the aid of the sail rudder. A second trial on 26 September produced better results although due to the low power of the engine the craft was unable to make any headway in a wind of any magnitude and the brothers ended their works.
 
 
 
 


Copyright © 2017 all-aero. All Rights Reserved.
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU General Public License.