Main Menu

Taylor / Aerial League 1909 Glider
George Taylor at Narrabeen
In 1909 Mr. George Taylor, secretary of the Aerial League, took a biplane,18ft long, with 4ft planes, and box-kite tail balance, to Narrabeen,NSW, Australian-built glider. The trials at gliding were held, Mr. Taylor himself acting as demonstrator. The scene of the flights was at Narrabeen Heads, in the presence of about one hundred visitors, the wide stretch of sand rendering any possible fall a matter of some safety. At the beginning of the experiments the wind came from the south-east at 10 miles an hour. The machine was carried to a sand knoll, and brought face on to the wind. Messrs. Schultz, Le Clerc, and Gibbons, of Narrabeen, required all their strength to hold it down. For the preliminary flights the corners were held by guide ropes 15ft in length to prevent the machine from getting out of control before the experimentor was properly tuned to automatic balancing.
At the commencement of the latest flights the wind came from the north-east at a pace of only three knots, hardly sufficient to give the necessary lift to the machine. A few attempts were made, but they wore too short and too close to the ground. The wind, however, increased in volume, and at 6 o'clock a 15-knot breeze was coming from the north-east. As the machine was wheeled face on, it shot up with Mr. Taylor to a height of 25ft, and soared the full length of the course. The demonstrator, by means of the-elevating plane, brought the machine rather sharply to the ground at the water's edge. Tho second flight was even more successful, the machine during its course actually poising for about 10 seconds, owing to its being tilted at an angle that for a short time allowed the wind to counterbalance the soaring tendency.
At the signal to let go the machine was well lifted by the wind, and by careful manipulation on the part of Mr. Taylor it shot towards the ocean 98 yards away in a series of curves from 3ft to 15ft above the ground, dragging its guides, who, however, pulled it to the ground at the water's edge. Twenty-nine successful flights were made by Mr. Taylor and Mr. Hallstrom, an enthusiastic member of the Aerial League. As the afternoon wore on the flights improved on account of the wind freshening to 15 miles an hour, and coming directly from the east so much so that the last flight of the day was notable.
At "let go" the wind immediately lifted the machine to the full length of the guide ropes, and dragged the operators so fast to the ocean that two let go; the machine now soared to-wards the ocean, and at the water's edge the remaining guide ropes were loosened, the machine making a leap upwards. Mr. Taylor by careful manoeuvring, kept the machine well under control, and dived it in the sea some little distance from the heads. The machine will be fitted with steering gear and other improvements for further flights. Mr. Taylor's monoplane is now having its powerful engine fitted to it at Gibson and Son’s motor works at Balmain, and he hopes to have it in the air during Christmas week. If the flights are as successful as anticipated the machine will be placed at the disposal of the military authorities during the Kitchener camp and review. 
Copyright © 2023 all-aero. All Rights Reserved.
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU General Public License.
slot gacor
rtp slot