Main Menu

Alvarez Cardenian glider
 
Cardenian-Gl-01
 
In March 1941, Eugenio Hernández Alvarez, from Carden, completed the calculations and plans, and began the selection and testing of the Cuban woods that would be used in the construction of a glider. Construction began in July 1941 and was completed in November 1945.
 
The builders were: Eugenio Hernández Alvarez and Mario Ajón. They used the area around Eugenio's house, as well as their tools and for four years in their free time, it can be said, they built this glider.
 
Cardenian-Gl-02
Eugenio and Mario with the glider
 
In December 1945, all the tests required to obtain the certification and license granted by the Cuban Aeronautical Federation were carried out. Eugenio Hernández Alvarez, Pedro de la Fé and Flores, were the two test pilots.
 
In January 1946, all the details of this glider were made known to the Cuban press. On the demonstration flight, Pedro de la Fé Flores was the pilot and Eugenio Hernández told the press about the entire process of this special flight.
 
At one o'clock, on the track of the Pilderó farm, using a special rope 1,500 feet long (brought from Manila and paid for by Luis Ramírez) and powered by a Ford car driven by Avilio la Fé, the glider ascended at a height of 800 feet.
 
Using the thermal currents, the glider flew for 23 minutes, over the southern limits of the city of Cárdenas, Matanzas, Cuba, 5 kilometers from the takeoff place, returning to this place without losing the height of 800 feet, making a perfect landing.
 
This “Primus in Cuba” glider was a work of engineering and individual Cuban and Cardenian initiative according to the report by René Blázquez de la Grana that appeared in “El Crisol”, Havana, January 9, 1946.
 
 
 
 


Copyright © 2021 all-aero. All Rights Reserved.
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU General Public License.