Main Menu

Gribovski G-2
 
 Grib-G2-01
 
After returning from the competitions in Koktebel in 1925, Gribovski was transferred to serve as an instructor at the Higher School of Aerial Shooting and Bombing known popularly as "Strelba" (Shooting), located in the city of Serpukhov.
 
Gribovski set to the construction of a new and improved competition glider known as G-2 (Russian: Грибовский Г-2). Like all Gribovski gliders, the G-2 was built entirely in wood and quite simply. The attachment points for the rudders and ailerons were quite simple and the attachments were made with normal screws. In his gliders Gribovski would hardly use welding, mainly due to the lack of a productive base with the necessary equipment.
 
The G-2 glider differed from its predecessor in its fuselage structure, constructed of birch planks and featuring an oval cross-section and landing gear with a central ski, which innovatively included air-cushioning using a bicycle inner tube.
The large wing was located in the middle position of the fuselage and was designed with the PR-385 wing profile. This wing consisted of two long trapezoidal consoles with rounded ends. Each console consisted of two box-type stringers, made of wood and 16 ribs. The entire forward part of the wing, up to the location of the second spar, was covered in plywood. From there and up to the trailing edge the covering would be made of fabric. This would be a distinctive feature of most of Gribovski's wing designs. Long louvered ailerons were located on the wing trailing edge.
 
The tail was of the conventional monoplane type, with a very tall tail. The planes could pivot on their axis integrally, which, according to Gribovski, should facilitate the control of the glider. During the evaluation before the competition, the technical committee expressed doubts regarding the effectiveness of its short horizontal planes. Practice would show that they were unfounded.
 
The pilot sat in an open cockpit just ahead of the wing leading edge and was protected by a transparent celluloid windshield.
 
The G-2 glider was built in 1927, first flown that September, and successfully participated in the IV National Sailing Competitions held that year, showing quite good performance. The G-2 was the first Soviet glider capable of harnessing thermals for free flight.
 
On September 27, taking off in the valley, he managed to reach a good height and fly over the southern slope of the Klementiev Mountains. The flights carried out in the G-2 were noted for their good stability and behavior, which contributed to the popularity that the model would soon achieve. On October 4, flying from Klementiev Mountain, would land beyond the competition staff.
 
In 1928 the G-2 was the glider that opened the annual event at Koktebel. In these competitions Gribovski, taking advantage of a weak wind, took off from Feodosia and landed after traveling seven kilometers. The next flight on the G-2 ended with a landing over a vineyard, causing the glider to be damaged.
 
A year later the G-2 would appear again during the VI National Sailing Competitions, this time accompanying the G-6 and G-7 gliders.
 
Its results in the competitions in Koktebel between 1927 and 1929 were so positive that soon flying clubs throughout the USSR began to build it.
 
The 31 of October of 1932, during the VIII convocation of skills, the glider G-2, piloted by NG Baruzdin set a national record of a 43.5 km uninterrupted flight.
 
 Grib-G2-02
G-2
 
The G-2bis appeared in 1930 as an improved development of the G-2. The main changes introduced included a decrease in the sensitivity of the rudders to the controls.
 
This glider was built by a considerable number of sailing clubs and workshops throughout the country until a date as late as 1935.
 
Taking into account the popularity acquired by the model, the organization “Snabosoaviajim” developed the set of plans with explanation of the main construction details and assembly forms, which considerably facilitated the construction of the model in workshops and by aviation enthusiasts. The own "Snabosoaviajim", predecessor of the Factory of Gliders of Túshino, built two copies of the model.
 
The G-2bis played a very important role in the preparation of the Soviet plane pilots. Despite being a somewhat difficult model to control in flight, it would become the main training glider in its time in the USSR. At the Kacha flight school instructors VA Stepanchonok and MA Nyuxtikov trained Soviet pilots in glide flight using this model.
 
The G-2bis would be used in the drag take-off tests carried out in Moscow by the pilot PM Stefanovski. For this purpose Gribovski developed a fixing system for the cable, which was successfully tested.
 
 Grib-G2-03
G-2bis
 
G-2
Wingspan: 13.00 m
Wing area: 14.00 m²
Length: 4.90 m
Height: 1.90 m
Empty weight: 98.5 kg
Wing loading: 12.7 kg / m²
Elevator area: 1.7 m²
Rudder surface area: 0.85 m²
Ailerons surface: 1.4 m²
Glide ratio: 18
Accommodation: 1
 
 
 
 
 


Copyright © 2021 all-aero. All Rights Reserved.
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU General Public License.