SAI Ambrosini CVV6 Canguro
Ambrosini CVV6 Canguro
The Canguru was designed in 1939 by the Gliding Institute Polytechnic of Milan (Centro Volo a Vela del Politecnico Di Milano) under the direction of the Engineer Ermenegildo Preti.
The Canguru two-seater is of conventional all-wood and fabric construction, with a high cantilever wing which has a single main spar with a torsionally stiff D-type leading edge; the wing is in two halves and can easily be detached for transport. CVV-type air brakes limit the maximum diving speed to 137mph. The oval-section fuselage is a monocoque structure and the two pilots are seated in tandem, an unusual feature being the location of the second pilot actually beneath the wing rather than ahead of it or in line with the leading edge. The cantilever tail unit has a low-set tailplane.
The CVV 6 Canguru two-seater was developed by the CVV (Centre Volo a Vela del Politecnico di Milano) and built in small numbers by Ambrosini - or Societa Aeronautica Italiana, Ing A. Ambrosini & C. It was also built under licence by Meteor SpA, Costruzioni Aeronautiche.
In addition to the prototype, the Italian air force has ordered 32 copies. The first flew in 1940, only two copies were built during the duration of the war. Others were produced between 1953 and 1955.
SAI Ambrosini CVV6 Kangaroo Palas
Span: 63 ft 3 in
Length: 26ft 2in
Wing area: 232.5 sq.ft
Aspect ratio: 17
Empty weight: 616 lb
Weight loaded: 1,012 lb
Sinking speed: 1.96 ft/sec
Glide ratio: 30:1