Convair 340 / C-131 / R4Y
Although based on the Convair 240, the 340 was largely a new aircraft with greater wing span (32.11m) and area; a 54-in longer fuselage for 44 passengers; R-2800-CB16 or CB17 engines; greater all-up weight of 21,318kg; and many interior design improvements. The first aircraft (N3401) flew on 5 October 1951 and the first delivery to an airline was N73103, to United Air Lines on 28 March 1952.
A total of 209 had been built by January 1955, when the last two production aircraft were delivered to REAL (Brazil).
The C-131B, based on larger Convair-Liner 340, was being produced in 1955 as flying laboratory for electronics equipment.
YC-131C was a ConvairLiner 340 fitted experimentally with two 3,750 h.p. Allison T56 turboprops.
Some standard ConvairLiner 340s were also ordered as C-131D.
The USAF operated the 340 as C-131 or VC-131 transports, flying and ECM trainers and for other duties; while the US Navy/Marine Corps received 37 transports as R4Y. The U.S. Navy equivalent of the C-131A is designated R4Y-1Z.
Many Convair 340s were converted to 440 and 580 standard.
A total of 209 CV-340s was built, followed by 186 CV-440s.
In November 1957 a Convair 340 with Napier Eland turboprop engines was flown to the USA to serve as a prototype. In 1958 the RCAF ordered a version of the Convair with Eland engines, to be built by Canadair as the CL-66.
Convair 340 Napier Eland conversion
Convair C-131A Samaritan