Main Menu

Borovkov-Florov D
 
 Boro-Flo-D-01
 
The 'D' design was started in 1941 by Alexei Andreeyevich Borovkov & Ilya Florenteyevich Florov as a mixed power fighter with a piston engine and Merkulin ramjet booster. A 1,500 kW (2,000 hp) Shvetsov M-71 engine was intended to be the main powerplant but it is unclear how the thermodynamic cycles of the two engines were to be linked. Similar aircraft were built later in the German-Soviet War using the main engine to drive a propeller and a compressor to supply air to a ramjet/afterburner booster, both the Su-5 and MiG-13 were produced in limited numbers but the performance gains were limited and soon eclipsed by turbo-jet engines.
 
 Boro-Flo-D-02
 
The 'D' was to have been a gull- winged monoplane with high set wing, of stressed skin construction with exceptionally smooth skin stabilised by underlying corrugated structure. The cockpit featured a pneumatic ejection system which rotated the seat downwards and fired it clear of the propeller arc.
 
A heavy armament of two 37 mm (1.457 in) Nudelman-Suranov NS-37 cannon and two 20 mm (0.787 in) ShVAK cannon was included, but all work was abandoned with the German invasion of 1941.
 
Powerplant: 1 × Shvetsov M-71, 1,600 kW (2,200 hp)
Powerplant: 1 × Merkulov DM-12 ramjet
Wingspan: 14.8 m (48 ft 7 in)
Length: 11.67m
Wing area: 35m²
Top Speed: 837km/h (with ramjets)
Max. Cruise Speed: 600km/h (without ramjets)
Crew: 1
Armament:
2x 37 mm (1.457 in) Nudelman-Suranov NS-37 cannon
2x 20 mm (0.787 in) ShVAK cannon
 

Boro-Flo-D-03

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Copyright © 2019 all-aero. All Rights Reserved.
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU General Public License.