Bowers Namu II
Peter Bowers designed and built the prototype of the Namu II two seat aircraft, which first flew on 2 July 1975.
The Namu, named after the famous whale, first flew in 1975. The side-by-side two-seater features an enclosed canopy, dual controls and conventional tailwheel type gear. Its low--wing configuration is constructed from wood, with Dacron fabric covering the wings and tail section and plywood covering the fuselage except for the rear decking. Fuel is car-ried in one main tank just aft of the firewall, and baggage is carried under and behind the seats.
The Namu II has a three piece single-spar with spruce flanges and plywood webs. The leading edge torsion box is a sandwich of two sheets of aluminium with glassfibre cloth between, epoxy-cemented together and formed over plywood nose ribs. With a fixed undercarriage and wooden tail unit, all fabrice covered.
Another Namu II, with a different canopy, has been completed by Richard Lower and Tom Godbey of Seattle.
Engine: Lycoming O-290G, 125 hp, 93 kW
Wingspan: 33 ft / 10.06m
Wing area: 150 sq.ft / 13.9 sq.m
Length: 21 ft 6 in / 6.55m
Max tak off weight: 1850 lb / 839 kg
Empty weight: 1200 lb / 544 kg
Fuel capacity 32 USG.
Max level speed: 140 mph / 225 kph / 122 kt
Cruise speed: 126 mph / 225 kph / 109 kt
Stall: 50 mph.
Climb rate 950 fpm
Service ceiling: 15,000 ft / 4570m
Range max fuel: 500 miles / 434 nm / 804 km
Baggage capacity: 45 kg / 100 lb