Boulton & Paul P33 Partridge
Evolved as a private venture to meet the requirements of Specification F.9/26, eventually satisfied by the Bristol Bulldog, the Partridge, designed by J D North, was of all-metal construction and its structure was made up in part of components already standardised for the P.29 Sidestrand bomber. Flown for the first time in 1928 with a 440hp Bristol Jupiter VII nine-cylinder radial (which it was intended to replace with the Mercury II in the unrealised Partridge III), it carried the standard armament of two 7.7mm Vickers machine guns in lateral fuselage bulges. The Partridge was initially flown with ailerons on the top wing only, but similar control surfaces were later introduced on the lower wing also. Only one prototype was built.
It was entered in the F9/26 competition at Martlesham Heath against the officially sponsored Armstrong Whitworth Starling, Boulton-Paul Partridge, Gloster Goldfinch and Hawker Hawfinch, won by the Bulldog.
Engine: 440hp Bristol Jupiter VII
Take-off weight: 1405 kg / 3098 lb
Empty weight: 917 kg / 2022 lb
Wingspan: 10.67 m / 35 ft 0 in
Length: 7.03 m / 23 ft 1 in
Wing area: 28.89 sq.m / 310.97 sq ft
Max. speed: 269 km/h / 167 mph