Boeing 314 Clipper / C-98
As early as January 1935, Pan American Airways had signified to the US Bureau of Air Commerce its wish to establish a transatlantic service and, the airline wanted a new aircraft for the route.
The aircraft was awarded Approved Type Certificate No. 704 and entered transatlantic airmail service on 20 May 1939. PAA Boeing 314 ‘Yankee Clipper’ flew by way of the Azores to Spain and then on to Southampton. On June 17 ‘Atlantic Clipper’ made first passenger crossing, carrying reporters and airline officials. Regular passenger service commenced on 28 June 1939, when ‘Dixie Clipper’ carried twenty-two paying passengers. One passenger having booked his seat in 1931. At that time the Model 314 was the largest production airliner in regular passenger service.
Pan American ordered another six aircraft which were designated Model 314A, improved by the installation of 1193kW Double Cyclones with larger-diameter propellers, and additional 4542 litres of fuel capacity, and a revised interior. The first Model 314A flew on 20 March 1941 and delivery was complete by 20 January 1942. Five of the original order were retrospectively converted to Model 314A standard in 1942. Three of the repeat order were sold, before delivery, to BOAC for transatlantic service and operation on the Foynes-Lagos sector of the wartime 'Horseshoe Route'. The three Boeing 314As, G-AGBZ Bristol, G-AGCA Berwick, and G-AGCB Bangor, with fuel capacity of 5,448 US gallons giving a range of over 3,600 miles, were acquired by the British Government and delivered new from Boeing's Seattle factory specifically to provide the UK-West Africa 'lifeline'. The three Boeings commenced operation UK-West Africa in May 1941. It transpired that a valuable, albeit irregular, trans-Atlantic service was an incidental development due to the necessity for them to return to their Baltimore base for certain overhauls after every 120 hours flying, and Atlantic flights were therefore interpolated into the schedules to permit this to happen. BOAC operated its last B.314A on January 17, 1948.
BOAC and Pan American terminated Boeing Model 314 services in 1946 and the surviving aircraft were sold to American charter airlines Clippers were in service with distinguishable names from 1939 through 1951 and were represented as the Honolulu Clipper, Cape Town Clipper, Anzac Clipper, Pacific Clipper, American Clipper, Yankee Clipper, California Clipper and the Atlantic Clipper - all operated by Pan Am.
Boeing 314 Clipper
Boeing 314A Clipper (C-98)