Boeing 264 / YP-29
The P-29 or company Model 264 was a Boeing effort to improve on the P-26 'Peashooter'. It dispensed with the drag-inducing fixed gear, struts and bracing wires. A low-set cantilever wing monoplane pursuit ship with retractable landing gear, one of the three machines built attained a speed of 376km/h at 2286m with its 410kW Pratt & Whitney R-1340-35 engine. Initially flown on 20 January 1934, the first of the three airframes was originally designated XP-940 and was built with an enclosed, flush canopy.
Boeing pilot Billy Acker asserted that the canopy 'rattled like a bird cage'. After brief flight tests in which Army pilots also judged the canopy impracticable, this first airframe was returned to the manufacturer, rebuilt with the more traditional open cockpit, and redesignated YP-29A The second airframe, designated YP-29, added landing flaps to the basic design while the third, the YP-29B, added greater dihedral to the wings.
But flight tests confirmed that the P-29, which was heavier than the P-26, offered at best only a very marginal improvement in performance. Though the three airframes were exhaustively tested well into the mid-1930s and contributed to institutional knowledge about fighter design, they were eventually deleted from inventory and scrapped.
Engine: 410kW Pratt & Whitney R-1340-35
Take-off weight: 1620 kg / 3572 lb
Empty weight: 1167 kg / 2573 lb
Wingspan: 8.95 m / 29 ft 4 in
Length: 7.62 m / 25 ft 0 in
Height: 2.34 m / 7 ft 8 in
Wing area: 16.44 sq.m / 176.96 sq ft
Max. speed: 376 km/h / 234 mph
Cruise speed: 321 km/h / 199 mph
Ceiling: 7430 m / 24400 ft
Range: 830 km / 516 miles