Blackburn Type E
Nine months before competitive trials were scheduled on Salisbury Plain, Robert Blackburn built two monoplanes with the designation Type E. The first completed, in April 1912, was a single-seater powered by a 60-hp (45-kW) Green inline engine, built for Lieutenant W. Lawrence, for use in India. That idea did not come to fruition.
The other Type E two-seater, built for the War Office trials, was completed in June 1912, and was powered by a 70-hp (52-kW) Renault 'V' engine, which proved too heavy for flight. Blackburn then went on to his next design, The Single-Seat Monoplane.