Proposed by the manufacturer to meet a military requirement, the Breguet U2 biplane was presented in various versions from 1911. The 1911 U2 version with a Salmson Canton-9 liquid cooled engine cylinder, two-bladed propeller, had the fuel tank between the two radiators placed vertically. The pilot, in back position, faced a rear-facing passenger, the other passenger, in the front, looked forward.
This machine has a steel structure fuselage, with a main landing gear with four wheels comprising two rear wheels mounted on the same axis and two front wheels detached. On early versions, lateral control was obtained by warping the wings, and later aileron control.
Initially the aircraft was equipped with a 130 hp Gnome rotary engine and was able to carry three people. Many engines were mounted on these machines, including Anzani, Renault 55 or 60 CV, and Canton-Unné of 120 hp. The propellers can be bladed or four-bladed.
Type U.2 No 45; Another military machine showing in the same Concours. A heavier aircraft than L.1 No 3, with an interwing strut between the earlier 2, retaining the original wiring. 2 tall radiators stood up under the center-section; the nosewheel was now doubled.
Type U.2 No 102: This 3-seater 2-bay single-spar biplane appeared in 1913. The 4-wheel landing gear was supported under the rear cockpit by a tall skid, keeping the cruciform tail off the ground. The fuselage was no longer a single boom aft, but consisted of 4 steel tube longerons supporting a structure faired out with stringers.
Type U.2 No 138: Similar to No 102, this new 1914 machine was a 2-bay 2-spar biplane, with 2 separate cut-out cockpits. The wing cell design was named "semi-rigide," and the wings still warped.
The Breguet H-U2 and U3 H seaplanes were derived from U-2 biplane. These became famous in April 1913, in Monaco, then in August of the same year in Deauville, in the hands of Henri Brégi and René sparrow.
Breguet biplane U2, three-seater tandem, piloted by René Moineau
At the beginning of the First World War, the first bombing took place early in August 1914 with an attack of Frascati airship hangar near Metz by the airman Corporal Finck. Projectiles were almost exclusively former 90 or 120 caliber artillery shells. These weapons were crammed into cabins and launched by hand by the observer. Some firebombs were tried, but proved difficult to use and dangerous for the aircraft that carried them. The first months of war dart boxes (cylindrical steel rods of 12 cm long and 8 mm in diameter, tapered tip and Phillips tail to rotate to stabilize during the fall) were used. This process of low efficiency (lack of accuracy and dispersion) was abandoned in early 1915.
Used for reconnaissance missions at the beginning of the First World War these machines had rigid wings equipped with ailerons and a Salmson Canton-Unné liquid cooled 110 hp or rotary Gnome engine of 100 HP that allowed them to reach 110 km / h.
French forces employed about 30 machines.
Engine: Canton-Unné, 110 hp
Wingspan: 44 ft 4 in / 13.5 m
Length: 27 ft 10 in / 8.5 m
Height: 8 ft 4 in / 2.5 m
Empty weight: 1234 lb / 560 kg
Loaded weight; 2116 lb / 960 kg
Max speed: 68 mph / 110 kph
Engine: Salmson Canton-Unné, 85 hp
Wingspan: 13,70 m
Total weight: 1150 kg
Speed: 80 kph