Bates 1911 Monoplane
The 1912 Bates Monoplane was built by Carl S. Bates at Cicero Field near Chicago, IL. Bates was a farm boy from Clear Lake, IA who became interested in flying at an early age. He was only 14 when he constructed a man-carrying kite in 1898. In 1903, he moved to Chicago to attend the Armour Institute of Technology and there came under the guidance of aeronautical pioneer Octave Chanute.
In 1911, he is credited with a monoplane of original design, powered with a Bates 30 hp motor. The airplane in the AirVenture Museum is a redesign of that aircraft. The Bates Monoplane fore part of the fuselage is of wood, while the structure back of the cockpit is of steel tubing, oval in cross section, with a “pigeon-tail” empennage and a generous rudder.
Walter Kutz of Skokie, IL who later moved to Waterford, WI, purchased the aircraft in 1918. He stored the aircraft in a barn, but never flew it. In 1957, Leon Tefft, an EAA member, restored the aircraft for Kutz. After Mr. Kutz died, his family decided to loan the airplane to EAA for display in the AirVenture Museum. As displayed in the museum, the aircraft has a Poyer engine.