Designed by Viktor N. Belyayev, the Belyayev OI-2 had twin fuselages linked by a central wing section , allowing greater range and greater load than the model with a single fuselage. The design began in early 1941 , before the USSR began receiving the American Airacobra. The plane would carry a single pilot in the right fuselage. In each fuselage was a Klimov M- 120UV 18-cylinder water-cooled engine.
The bomber could be armed with two 23 mm guns shooting through the propeller hubs, four 12.7 mm machine guns in the nose of the fuselage and 4 ShKAS 7.62 mm machine guns in the center section wing with 500 rounds each. It could also carry 4 FAB -100 100 kg bombs, or 8 of 50 kg or 16 of 25 kg , or 52 bombs of 10 kg under the center wing section, plus underwing supports on the outer wing sections for FAB 500 -500 kg or two FAB -250 of 250 kg.
It appears that the project was receiving by the VVS on April 22, 1941 receiving approval. Excellent visibility forward and to the right was found, but poor visibility as to the left. Another shortcoming was the arrangement of the machine guns. The conclusions of the commission proposed Belyayev deepen the design of the aircraft and submit a project 's finish, transferthe pilot to the left fuselage in order to improve visibility and increase range to 2000 km for use as a bomber escort. Soon after, the USSR came against Germany in World War II fighters and the project was canceled.