Bernard H.V.120 / V.4
The H.V.120 was a wooden single-seat mid-wing cantilever monoplaneseaplane designed and built by Bernard to compete in the Schneider Trophy race.
Powered by a 1,680 hp (1,253 kW) Hispano Suiza 18R W-18 piston engine, the first H.V.120 flew for the first time at Hourtin on 25 March 1930. Development was delayed due to engine problems, as well as technical issues. It was overweight and the engine mount and forward fuselage had to be re-designed. The first aircraft had a direct drive three-bladed propeller but the second had a reductionn gear to drive a four-bladed Chauvière propeller. The second aircraft crashed into the water on its first flight in July 1931 killing pilot Georges Bougault.
In 1933 the prototype was converted into a racing landplane as the Bernard V.4 with a 1,125 hp (839 kW) Hispano-Suiza 18Sb engine and shorter span wings. The V.4 had widely spaced main landing gear with streamlined wheel spats. It was moved to Istres in December 1933 to try and achieve a French Air Ministry prize for a French aircraft to beat the world speed record before January 1934. It was due to make an attempt to fly on 27 December 1933 but strong winds kept the aircraft grounded. Further attempts in February 1934 to fly were thwarted by engine problems and lack of government finance. The project was abandoned without the aircraft have flown.
Engine: 1 × Hispano Suiza 18R W-18, 1,253 kW (1,680 hp)
Length: 8.24 m (27 ft 0 in)
Wingspan: 8.65 m (28 ft 5 in)
Height: 3.60 m (11 ft 10 in)
Wing area: 11.00 m2 (118.4 sq ft)
Max takeoff weight: 2,100 kg (4,630 lb)
Maximum speed: 530 km/h (329 mph; 286 kn)