In the early 1920’s William Beardmore & Co began development on a tandem two-seat fighter under Latvian contract.
Designed by W.S. Shackleton and designated W.B.26, it was of mixed construction with plywood skinning and powered by a 360hp Rolls-Royce Eagle IX liquid-cooled engine. First flown in 1925. Featuring aerofoil-section interplane bracing struts and angularly-clean lines, the W.B.26 had two Constantinesco-synchronised Beardmore- Farquhar machine guns and a similar weapon on a Scarff mounting in the rear cockpit. The slab-sided fuselage was suspended between the wings, the lower wing being faired into the fuselage by a Lamblin radiator block.
Only the single prototype of the W.B.26 fighter was built.