Main Menu

Barton Sylkie

 

bartonsylkie

 

Wayne Barton of Northglenn, Colorado, began doodling his dream ship and the general outline of his dream ship began to take shape. Barton began at the bottom, sketching in plenty of ground clearance to swing a big prop and a stabilator. It need at least a Lycoming O-320 and a retractable trigear. The first few degrees of rotation of the primary retract handle break the over-center gear brace arms, and after about 10 degrees of travel, the springs change their action; instead of holding the gear locked, they begin to pull the gear up, with the springs providing 95 percent of the effort.

In retracting the nose leg, the steerable nosewheel linkage neutralises, and when you're up and flying, kicking the rudder pedals only actuates the aerodynamic rudder. After about 120 degrees of travel, the retract handle locks into a socket, and a microswitch automatically causes a solenoid to, lock each gear into the full up position.

Going the other way, as when putting the gear down for landing, moving the down gear handle into its socket actuates a gear-locked indicator light on the panel when the fast few degrees of down handle rotation applies pressure to the gear over-center brace arms. Gear doors are attached to the legs and open or close automatically.when you raise or lower the gear.

The stabilator was designed with a 12-degree rotation capability around its single spar, which is built in two units, the right and left sides being joined with a splice tube which serves as an attach point for the counterweight. An antiservo unit gives the stick backpressure feel, and is also linked to the cockpit pitch-trim wheel. All linkage is hidden inside the fuselage and fin area.

Barton went to dual controls, with brakes on the left side only, and the mechanical flap handle was attached to the same pivot unit as the primary gear retract handle. A Cessna-type pitch trim wheel is located between the two seats, with an additional aileron trim hung on the forward face of the main spar near the pilot's right knee.
Three fuel tanks are located inside thefuselage, with a 28 Usg fiberglass main tank aft of the passenger seats below the baggage compartment. An engine-driven fuel pump transfers fuel from the main to a pair of header tanks back of the firewall under the panel, holding a total of 14 gallons. From there the fuel is gravity-fed to the carburetor.

Barton used a Minicab wing of 24 feet 11-inch span and 110 sq.ft. area, fully cantilevered, with a 15 percent rib chord at the root. This provided adequate, depth to hide the gear when retracted. The chord depth tapers to 10 percent at the tips, with a uniform twist of two percent.

The Emeraude fuselage provided an ample cabin width of 42 inches, and a sliding bubble canopy provided easy access and good visibility. Retractable steps allow entry over the flaps at the wing root area on either side. These were a few extras that only added 20 pounds to Barton's design empty weight of 1000 pounds.

Barton came in for under $8,000 in 1979 dollars, mainly by building everything from raw materials, except for a few ready-made essentials like the engine, wheels, nuts, bolts and gauges. Airframe construction was of sitka spruce; some hardwood for high shear stress points; plywood; chromoly 4130 tubing; and some aluminum alloys.

In building the fuselage, Barton used the standard right and left side frame construction method, the sides turned over on the work table and positioned properly for fitting the wing attach bulkhead, seat back bulkhead and fin spar. Cross braces were cut to fit, ply gussets added, and the fuselage turned right side up again, for adding turtle deck, fin.

Next came the nose gear well framing, firewall, stabilator and rudder, which had three ball-bearing hinges, with a conventional external rudder horn. No counterbalancing was required.

In building the Minicab wing, Barton beefed up the spar center sections to prov ide a 9G ultimate load factor for a 1200-pound airframe. The gap contour between flap/aileron and wing proper was modified for better aerodynamic efficiency, and the entire wing skinned with plywood. As for the gear, Barton says: 1t evolved as a sort of hybrid, part Beechcraft, part Mooney, part Barton."

Internal compression springs were used for shock absorbing, together with an internal oil damping action using the same shaft with attached piston for rough-field operation,

The engine is enclosed in a conventional fiberglass cowling with the nose gear door hinged to the aft part of the cowl. Canopy framework is of wood construction with the acrylic plastic windows held in place with ordinary glazier's points and silicon rubber.

To finish everything off Barton went to Dacron covering and Randolph's dope.

In April 1975, Sylkie One, passed final FAA inspection, and her maiden flight was on May 2, 1975.


Engine: Lycoming O-320 / 150 hp.
Prop: Wood, fixed pitch, 72 in dia.
Wingspan: 24ft 11in.
Wing area: 110 sq.ft.
Fuselage length: 20ft 7in.
Height: 7ft 1in.
Empty wt: 1020 lbs.
Max wt: 1650 lbs.
Econ cruise: 10,000 ft 6.9 gph, 182 mph TAS.
Vmax (17,000ft): 234 mph TAS.
Stall: 48 mph IAS.
Climb: 1800 fpm.
Service ceiling: 19,000ft.

 

 


Copyright © 2017 all-aero. All Rights Reserved.
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU General Public License.