Main Menu

Zbierański and Cywiński Biplane
 
ZbierCyw-Bi-01
 
On the initiative of the Association of Technicians at the Technical Association in Warsaw in the autumn of 1909, Czeslaw Zbierański went to Paris to get acquainted with the aviation technique of the time. On his return, he designed a wooden plane using a pulling propeller engine, while the biplanes at that time had pushing propellers. After the approval of the project by Wheeler Zbierański left for France to buy materials. Having encountered a Voisin airplane with a steel tube construction, he decided to build a hull from the tube.
 
Stanisław Cywiński became Stanisław Cywiński's co-worker, who in the spring of 1910 adapted the project to steel construction and elaborated on the design. The hull of the aircraft was built in the summer of 1910, in a shed on the premises of E. Krzemiński's lamp factory at ul. Solec 103 in Warsaw. After the construction of the hangars of the Warsaw Aircraft Association "Awia" on the Mokotowskie Field, they moved in the early autumn of 1910 to the hangar No. 1. There construction was completed. In the autumn of 1910 Cywiński bought the engine for the plane.
 
ZbierCyw-Bi-02
 
The biplane was rectangular, double-girder, wooden construction panels, supported by steel pipe posts and crossed with wires. Canvas cover. Controls were only on the upper wing. Truss lattice made of steel pipes connected by screws. Tubes stiffened by ash rods. Rear hull triangular section. Trusses framed by wires. With fabric covering.
 
In May 1911, while attempting to fly an improper connection of the wires to the spark ignition caused gasoline to burn and burn part of the airfoil. In the summer the plane was renovated.
 
ZbierCyw-Bi-03
 
On September 25, 1911, the plane was flown by Michał Scipio del Campo, flying 15-20 km, at a height of 50-60 m, within 15 minutes. The engine was too heavy and too weak, so the Gnome engine from the Morane-Borel aircraft belonging to M. Scipio del Campo was mounted.
When the Russian army took over at the beginning of 1912, the plane was evacuated by Russian lieutenant Krachowiecki, fictitiously buying it. Cywinski dismantled the engine, and Zbierański donated the craft to the Union of Students of the Lviv Polytechnic. The plane was transported to Cracow in 1912, where it was exhibited in the Oleander area and then stored for over a year. There at the beginning of the war in 1914, it burned down during the fire of the exhibition buildings.
 
Engine: ENV type D, 29 kW (39 - 40 hp)
Wingspan: 10 m
Length: 8.5 m
Height: 3.3 m
Wing area: 31-34 sq.m
Gross weight: 240 kg
Useful weight: 100 kg
Total weight: 340 kg
Speed: 70 km / h
Flight time: 1 h 30 min
 
ZbierCyw-Bi-04
 
 
 
 


Copyright © 2017 all-aero. All Rights Reserved.
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU General Public License.