Main Menu

Weaver Ornithoplane No. 2
 
Weaver2-Prth
 
William Arthur Weaver's Ornithoplane No. 2 was a two-seater monoplane of conventional layout, with a fuselage of triangular section, using bamboo and aluminum in its construction. It was converted from parts of the No. 1 ornithopter and was re-engined in 1907-1908 with a special lightweight water-cooled engine of about 35/40hp built by The Alpha Engineering Company, Coventry. The aluminium propeller was chain driven, and was claimed to have variable pitch in flight, which seems to have been achieved by a small auxiliary propeller revolving behind the main one. Unusually, the pilot's seat and control wheel were mounted on the starboard bottom longeron. The tail unit consisted of a rectangular rudder and large elevators, which flapped to provide lift. The machine made various short hops at Hampton-in- Arden between 1906 and 1908 culminating in a flight of a quarter of a mile on 17 May 1910.
 
 
 
 


Copyright © 2020 all-aero. All Rights Reserved.
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU General Public License.