Main Menu

Wright Bros E biplane
 
 Wright-E-01
Wright E AS10479
 
The model E was built in 1913 and was the first in the series of Wright Flyers that used a single propeller. The Model E featured 24 inch tires. It was flown with four and six cylinder Wright engines.
 
The aircraft was also the test demonstrator for the first automatic pilot control. The model E was fitted with a prototype autopilot that used a wind driven generator and pendulums to drive the wing warping controls. The design was quickly eclipsed by a gyroscopic autopilot developed by Lawrence Sperry for the competing Curtiss Aeroplane Company.
On 31 December 1913, Orville Wright demonstrated a Model E with an "automatic stabilizer" flying seven circuits around Huffman Prairie field with his hands above his head. The Model E demonstrations earned the Wright Brothers the 1913 Collier Trophy from Aero Club of America.
 
Albert Elton (1881–1975) purchased the sole Wright Model E for exhibition flights.
 
Engine: four and six cylinder Wright
Propeller: 2-bladed fixed pitch, 7 ft (2.1 m) diameter
Wingspan: 32 ft (9.8 m)
Length: 27 ft 9 in (8.46 m)
Wing area: 316 sq ft (29.4 sq.m)
Empty weight: 730 lb (331 kg)
Crew: one
 
 
 
 
 
 


Copyright © 2019 all-aero. All Rights Reserved.
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU General Public License.