Van Lith VI
A one-off French-built light civil utility aircraft of the late 1950s, the Van Lith VI was a two/three seat light high-wing cabin monoplane of conventional wooden construction. The wing was a two-spar structure with plywood and fabric covering. The fuselage was of rectangular section with plywood cladding. The main undercarriage with fixed legs, wheels, brakes and tailwheel were adapted from those of the Stampe SV.4. The pilot and passengers were seated in tandem with an access door on each side hinging upward for entry and exit. The slotted ailerons could be drooped together to function as flaps. Designed and built by Jean Van Lith it was initially flown with a single fin, but this was replaced with twin fins.
One example of the design was completed. In original form the Model VI had the main wheels and wing struts of a Stampe (Nord) SV-4 biplane, one 125 hp Lycoming O-290-3 engine and a small third central fin. In this configuration the aircraft flew on 30 August 1958, registered as F-WINX. It completed it test flight program at Toussusle-Nobel on October 6, 1959, and was subsequently reregistered F-PINX.
The aircraft was later re-engined with one 150 hp Lycoming O-320, and also received with a steel sprung cantilever undercarriage, while the central fin was removed. The aircraft remained active well into the 1980s and later went to the RSA Museum, but was destroyed in an accident. This one-of-a-kind aircraft was also nicknamed the Bébé Broussard, because of the external resemblance to the Holste Broussard.
It was flown by the constructor from airfields at Toussus-le-Noble and Guyancourt near Paris. It was still registered to Jean Van Lith in 1964, but is no longer extant.
Engine: 1 × Lycoming O-290-3, 135 hp (101 kW)