Wright Bros Flyer B / 1910
The Model B is the first Wright Engine produced in quantity. The major modifications were the use of a more powerful engine and elevons instead of the wing warping feature. At College Park, Md., in Oct 1911, a Wright "B" was used for the first military trials of a bombsight and bomb-dropping device.
In Mexico, General Francisco Villa had purchased six Wright B biplanes to equip an aviation component of his Division del Norte, hiring six American pilots to fly them. Some missions were flown before three of the aircraft were destroyed, the remaining three being captured.
The Wright B-1 seaplane version of the model B went in production in 1910.
Length : 30.151 ft / 9.19 m
Height : 9.35 ft / 2.85 m
Wingspan : 41.995 ft / 12.8 m
Max take off weight : 1400.2 lb / 635.0 kg
Max. speed : 39 kts / 72 km/h
Endurance : 2 h
Engine : Rausenberger 8-Cyl., 74 hp
Crew : 2