Weick W-1 NS67
As the assistant chief of the aerodynamics division at Langley Field, in Virginia, Fred Weick was the guiding force behind development of the W‑1, a pusher with an unorthodox wing configuration and decidedly unusual performance. The wing had an open slot behind the main spar controlled by a small aileron on the top surface and trailing-edge ailerons.
Although Weick's research director at Langley wanted to have the aircraft built as a NACA project, Weick preferred to keep it free of smothering bureaucratic supervision. So, with the help of a handful of enthusiastic engineers, he built it in his garage, thereby early betraying an independent spirit.
Weick W-1-A Wind tunnel test NX67
The W‑1 indeed turned out to have good stability and control and, according to Weick, was "automatically nonspinning." It also would get in and out of unusually small spaces, off in 200 feet with no wind to an altitude of 50 feet.It landed in 100 ft, was spin- and stall-proof.
The W‑1 also possessed a mildly revolutionary device called a tricycle landing gear, which is what Weick says he first called it in his SAE report on the aircraft. The Weick W‑1 team adopted the tricycle gear as a way to reduce ground-looping as well as a means of simplifying the entire landing and takeoff process. Other noteworthy features were flaps, slot-lip ailerons, a pusher engine and twin fins.
With twin-boom, twin-tail; tricycle gear, the wing had an open slot behind the main spar controlled by a small aileron on the top surface and trailing-edge ailerons. Took off in 120', landed in 100', was spin- and stall-proof.
Purchased in 1934 by DoC for $5,000, plane was handed to Fairchild (Kreider-Reisner) to produce a modified W-1-A, with flaps in place of slots (NX213Y, NS67, NX67. It was Corp transferred to the NACA, it was damaged in testing and scrapped in 1938.
Engine: 85hp Pobjoy
Cruising Speed: 80 mph
Stall: 35 mph
TO ground roll: 120 ft