Umbra MB.902

 

Aeronautica Umbra's design office was responsible for a heavy fighter of advanced and unorthodox design, the M.B.902 designed by Ing. Bellomo. The M.B902 was actually built, although flight testing had not commenced when the prototype was destroyed.

The construction of the M.B.902 was begun in 1942, and this single-seat fighter was unusual in being powered by a pair or 1,250 h.p. Daimler-Benz DB 605 liquid-cooled engines buried in the fuselage and driving twin contra-props mounted outboard on the wings via extension shafts. Featuring a retractable nose wheel undercarriage and carrying an armament of four 20-mm. and two 12.7-mm. guns, the M.B.902 had an estimated maximum speed or 429 m.p.h., and a maximum range of 1,056 miles.