Udet U-1 / U-2
In the summer of 1921, a new aviation company was formed using the WWI German flying ace, Ernst Udet's name. William Pohl from Milwaukee, Henry Hans Herrmann and Erich Scheuermann joined to company to fund the aircraft before wartime treaty restrictions were lifted on aircraft production with the intent of building an inexpensive aircraft for the American market. Designed by Hans Henry Herrmann, the builders produced and flew the U 1 five months before the formation of the Udet Flugzeubau GmbH company. The first flight being in May 1922.
The design was a single seat low wing, open cockpit monoplane with conventional landing gear. The aircraft was large enough to accommodate two passengers, but did not have enough power for more than one person. Only the one was built.
The Udet U 2 was a two seat production variant, first flying in March 1923. Four were produced.
Engine: 1 × Haacke, 16 kW (22 hp)
Length: 5.33 m (17 ft 6 in)
Wingspan: 8.9 m (29 ft 2 in)
Height: 1.7 m (5 ft 7 in)
Wing area: 8 m2 (86 sq ft)
Gross weight: 200 kg (441 lb)
Maximum speed: 180 km/h (112 mph; 97 kn)
Endurance: 2.5 hr
Engine: Haacke, 35 hp
Wingspan: 6.9 m
Length: 5.5 m