Turbay T-1 Tucan
Designed by Alfredo Turbay and built by Sociedad Anonima Sfreddo & Paolini, the Tucán is a parasol-wing braced monoplane with a fixed cantilever type landing gear, tailwheel and powered by a 65 hp (48 kW) Continental A65 air-cooled piston engine. The design of the T-1 toucan started it in 1937, reaching its final form in 1939.
It had an enclosed cockpit just aft of the wing trailing-edge with a sliding canopy.
The first of January 1941 began with the construction of this prototype at the Technical Institute of the National University of Tucuman in the Popular Aviation Center founded by Los Tucanes Turbay himself and his colleagues a couple years earlier.
Construction was finished in April 1943 and between 2 and 5 February was statically tested and approved by the Directorate General of Civil Aviation granting the first experimental enrolment of registration, LV-X1.
The first flight was made on April 5, 1943 with an excellent performance, which made Turbay interested in taking it to Buenos Aires to get potential customers and try to manufacture in series. The plane arrived at Airfield San Fernando in Buenos Aires in May 1943 and on May 16 before national, military and aerospace Argentina and higher authorities. This made the Sfreddo and Paolini SA hire him as technical manager of the company. They planned to sell the aircraft at $10,000 National Currency each, which made it very accessible for the time. Turbay made some tweaks to the model and officially presented to the press and public at the airport on August 22 of that year.
Series production under license by Sfreddo and Paolini for the construction of 6 units were scheduled and minor modifications began with the works. The series aircraft would be equipped with the same engine as the prototype, the Continental A65 65 hp, but the Directorate General of Civil Aviation cancelled its commitment because of World War II for which production was suspended. Sfreddo & Paolini was seized and nationalized by the government.
While there were several attempts to build the plane in series, political and economic problems of the country prevented this. Plans to revive production in 1963 were thwarted. The prototype, once approved, was re-registered LV-NBE on September 13, 1944. On January 23, 1945 Turbay sold the aircraft to Bruno Zantini and to Orlando Harriet on September 25 of that year. On 22 November 1956 the record was transferred to Roberto Velazquez who completely destroyed it in an accident on April 18, 1957 in Bell Ville, province of Cordoba.
In 1975 Luis Fernandez finished building a second aircraft with planes bought in 1969 at the AVEX institution that Turbay. This aircraft was registered as LV-X58 and first flew on October 9, 1975.
Engine: 1 × Continental A65, 48 kW (65 hp)
Length: 5.55 m (18 ft 2 in)
Wingspan: 7.22 m (23 ft 8 in)
Height: 1.90 m (6 ft 2½ in)
Wing area: 7.20 m2 (77.5 ft2)
Empty weight: 285 kg (627 lb)
Gross weight: 450 kg (990 lb)
Maximum speed: 205 km/h (127 mph)
Range: 1100 km (680 miles)
Endurance: 6 hours
Service ceiling: 4200 m (13780 ft)