Known originally as the Tu-124A, this aircraft is a rear-engined twin-turbofan development of the Tu-124. The new aircraft, designated Tu-134, also had a T-tail and the same basic wing, with an extended centre section. Its joint military/civil design resulted in the aircraft retaining a glazed 'bomb aimer' nose until the early 1970s.
First flown in July 1963, it had completed more than 100 test flights when first details and photographs were released in mid-September 1964. The prototype was followed by five preproduction aircraft and the Tu-134 then went into series production at Kharkov.
It entered international service on Aeroflot's Moscow-Stockholm route in September 1967, after a period on internal services, and was joined by the `stretched' Tu-134A in the Autumn of 1970. Nato code name Crusty, early models seated 72 passengers, whilst the stretched A-model had a 96-seat capacity. Thrust reversers were also fitted to the twin Solviev D-30 turbofans and the landing gear strengthened.
It has been widely exported despite its high operating costs and lack of cargo/baggage storage capability, and remained in widespread service on thin routes. Aeroflot still had some 400 Tu-134s in service at the beginning of 1992, including a substantial, but unquantified, VIP fleet.
Production ceased in 1985 after 852 had been built.
Engines: 2 x Soloviev D-30-II turbofans, 30.26kN / 14,990 lb
Wing span: 95 ft 1.75 in (29 m)
Length: 122 ft 0 in (37.1 m)
Height: 29 ft 7 in (9.02 m)
Wing area: 127.3 sq.m / 1370.24 sq ft
Empty weight: 29050 kg / 64045 lb
Max TO wt: 103,600 lb (47,000 kg)
Max level speed: 540 mph (870 kph)
Length: 37.05 m / 122 ft 7 in
Cruise speed: 605 mph
Range: 3280 sm
Ceiling: 11890 m / 39000 ft
Range w/max.payload: 1890 km / 1174 miles
Pax capacity: 96