Tupolev Tu-79 / Tu-89
The Tu-78 and Tu-79 were essentially the Tu-73 but with Soviet licence-built 5952-lb (2700-kg) Rolls-Royce engines. The two Nenes were now called the RD-45, and the Derwent, the RD-500. The prototype was built at factory N 156 with Sergei Yeger in charge. It made its first flight on 17 April 1948 and its state tests were completed by December. It was approved for serial production under the VVS designation Tu-20, but this was not actually carried out because of the shortage of production facilities. The Tu-20 designation would be used again later.
The Tu-79 was a long-range reconnaissance aircraft originally designated Tu-73R. By then, 1949, Klimov had developed the Nene/RD-45 to produce 2,700kg thrust, and the Tu-79 was to have been fitted with two of these VK-1 engines in place of the lower powered RD-45s. The VVS allocated the designation Tu-22 to planned production. Although this one was never actually built, the Tu-22 designation would also be used later.
Engines: 2 x VK-1 turbojets
Max speed: 535 mph (861 km/h) at 16,405 ft (5000 m)