SIAI-Marchetti FN-333 Riviera
The three-seat prototype of the amphibian FN-333 flying boat, designed and built by Nardi S.A., flew first on 4 December 1952. Two more prototypes were built by Nardi through the decade. In the wake of the second Nardi prototype, Fiat of Italy also built two FN.333 prototypes, but did not continue with the exercise.
The initial prototype had "guitar-pick" style tailfins, and was powered by a Continental engine with 110 kW (145 HP); there had been thought of fixing the floats to the wingtips and then folding the wing downward after water landing, but the idea didn't survive close examination.
Following the third Nardi prototype, an exclusive manufacturing licence for the FN-333 was obtained by SIAI Marchetti in March 1959. SIAI Marchetti called the aircraft "Riviera".
SIAI-Marchetti placed a slightly enlarged four-seat variant in production which had flown in prototype form on 8 December 1954. The first of ten pre-production Rivieras was flown in February 1962.
The Riviera used a tricycle landing gear with the nose gear tucking up into the forward hull, the main gear hinging up to be stowed in the fuselage, as well as retractable floats, hinging up to mate with the wingtips, and no wing bracing. The twin tailfins were of trapezoidal configuration and had forward fillets. Powerplant was a Continental IO-470-P air-cooled flat-six engine with fuel injection, providing 185 kW (250 HP) and driving a two-bladed propeller.
About 24 Rivieras were built through the 1960s, the exact number being hard to determine because of double-counting of serials.