Scottish Aviation Twin Pioneer
The 16-passenger civil Twin Pioneer prototype, G-ANTP, made its first flight on June 25, 1955 ass a 16-passenger civil type, powered by two 550 h.p. Alvis Leonides engines, and the first military version made its maiden flight on August 29, 1957.
Deliveries to the RAF began in early 1958, the Service making good use of the type's impressive STOL characteristics - the aircraft only needed 300yd by 100ft to operate - while carrying out important supply and relief work in Aden, Kuwait, Kenya, Borneo and Singapore, as well as at home.
The Twin Pioneer saw considerable service in the utility role during the late fifties and through most of the sixties. 87 were built, including 39 for the RAF.
Pioneer CC Mk.2
Engines: 2 x 560hp Alvis Leonides 531/8B
Wing Span: 23.32m / 76 ft 6 in
Length: 13.79m / 45 ft 3 in
Wing Area: 62.24sq.m
Empty Weight: 4627kg
Max.Weight: 14601.5 lb / 6622kg
Cruising speed : 137 kt / 254 km/h
Service ceiling : 20013 ft / 6100 m
Cruising altitude : 2461 ft / 750 m
Wing load : 21.73 lb/sq.ft / 106.0 kg/sq.m
Range : 637 nm / 1180 km
Load: 16 seats, 907kg
Armament : 1542kg / 907kg ext.