Main Menu

Piper PA-36 Pawnee Brave

piper-pa36-375
PA36-375 Pawnee Brave


Piper announced in 1972 a completely new version of the PA-25 Pawnee agricultural aircraft which introduced a more powerful Continental Tiara 6-285 flat-six engine of 213kW, a new cantilever wing, new safety features, filtration of the air entering the pilot's ventilated and heated cockpit, and a larger standard chemical hopper of 0.85cu.m or, optionally, 1.08cu.m capacity. First introduced in Piper’s 1973 model year, over 350 were built up till 1977, all powered by a 285 hp Conti-nental Tiara engine.

The Brave has a number of innovations to distinguish it from the earlier models of the type. One of the first differences evident is the lack of wing struts, fibreglass leading edges, and the fuel tanks are filled with a plastic foam like “infinite baffle” which is intended to reduce fuel movement and reduce the potential of fire. For the same reason the fuel lines are located behind the main spar. The rear fuselage is “pressurised” from a vent on the tail fin which acts to “push” the super out of the rear fuselage. The system is designed to keep 90% of the dust and dirt out of the fuselage and the easily removable panels make the remaining 10 per cent easy to get at.

A much larger ag aircraft than the original Pawnee, the Pawnee Brave was underpowered in its original 285 hp version. A 300 hp model was introduced in 1977. Designated Piper PA-36 Pawnee Brave, the new model began to enter service in 1973, and in 1977 an additional version with a 300 hp / 224kW Avco Lycoming IO-540-K1G5 engine became available, the designations of these two aircraft then becoming PA-36 Pawnee Brave 285 and PA-36 Pawnee Brave 300.

In 1978 the 300 hp aircraft became the standard model, and a new PA-36 Pawnee Brave 375 being introduced with a 280kW Avco Lycoming IO-720-D1CD flat-eight engine, equipped with the larger of the two chemical hoppers as standard. The engine was a detuned 400 hp Lycoming

These were to remain in production with Piper until rights for both versions of the PA-36 were acquired by WTA Inc. in 1981. This latter company was marketing this agricultural aircraft in two versions, the version with the 280kW engine now being the basic model and redesignated PA-36 New Brave 375. It was available optionally with a 298kW IO-720-D1C engine under the designation PA-36 New Brave 400.

WTA Inc received from Piper rights to PA-18-150 Super Cub lightplane and PA-36 Brave agricultural aircraft; 250 Super Cubs built before becoming once again Piper type, while PA-36 produced as New Brave.

 

Pawnee Brave
Engines: Continental 6-285-C, 285 hp
Seats: 1
Wing loading: 17.3 lb/sq.ft
Pwr loading: 13.68 lb/hp
Max TO wt: 3900 lb
Empty wt: 2050 lb
Equipped useful load: 1803 lb
Payload max fuel: 1281 lb
Range max fuel/ 75% pwr: 531 nm/ 4.2 hr
Service ceiling: 13,000 ft
Hopper cap: 225/275 USG
75% cruise: 128 kt
Working speed: 80 kt
Working endurance: 5 hr
Stall: 54-62 kt
ROC: 790 fpm
Min field length: 1650 ft
Fuel cap: 522 lb

 

PA36-300 Brave 300
Engine: Lycoming I0-540-KIGS, 300 hp / 224kW
Wingspan: 11.89 m / 39 ft 0 in
Length: 8.34 m / 27 ft 4 in
Height: 2.29 m / 8 ft 6 in
Wing area: 20.96 sq.m / 225.61 sq ft
Hopper Cap: 30 or 38 cu.ft
Wing loading: 17.3 lb/sq.ft
Pwr loading: 13 lb/hp
Max TO wt: 3900 lb
Empty wt: 2180 lb
Equipped useful load: 1673 lb
Payload max fuel: 1157 lb
Range max fuel/ 75% pwr: 480 nm/ 3.9 hr
Service ceiling: 12,000 ft
75% cruise: 123 kt / 229 km/h / 142 mph
Working speed: 103 kt
Stall: 54-63 kt
ROC: 770 fpm
Min field length: 1650 ft
Fuel cap: 516 lb
Seats: 1

 

PA36-375
Engine: Lycoming I0-720, 375 hp
Prop: Hartzell 86in
Useful load: 2285 lb
Hopper cap: 38 cu.ft

 

 

PA36-285 to 400 hp
Flight Manual
Supplements



 

piper-pa36-ld

Piper PA-36 Pawnee Brave

 

 


Copyright © 2017 all-aero. All Rights Reserved.
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU General Public License.