Piper PA-17 Vagabond
By the autumn of 1948, when the market was showing signs of recovery, Piper introduced the PA-17 Vagabond which was powered by a 48kW Continental A65-8 engine and again equipped with the 'frills' as standard. One aim of the PA-17 was to reduce a stockpile of materials held at Lock Haven.
The PA-17 Vagabond Trainer, designed soon after Piper began producing the PA-15, was a dual control, deluxe version of the PA-15. New were an engine primer and bungee cord shock absorbers for the landing gear.
A total of 214 were built from May to October 1948.