The success of the P-2 led to development of a new general-purpose trainer under the designation Pilatus P-3, the prototype of which was flown for the first time on 3 September 1953. Intended for use as both a primary and advanced trainer, the P-3 is of cantilever low-wing monoplane configuration and differs from its predecessor by being of all-rnetal construction. It has retractable tricycle landing gear, but as the P-3 was required by the Swiss air force for 'all-through' training, from the primary stage to the point of passing on to the de Havilland Vampire jet trainer, a lower-powered engine was adopted, the Avco Lycoming GO-435-C2A. Like the P-2 that preceded it into service, the P-3 has similar standards of equipment or weapons for comprehensive pilot training by day or night. A total of 72 P-3s was built for the Swiss air force, and in 1993 a handful of these remain in service.
A small number were supplied to Brazil, but these were superseded by indigenous trainers by 1993.
Engine: 1 x Avco Lycoming GO-435-C2A, 194kW
Max take-off weight: 1500 kg / 3307 lb
Loaded weight: 1110 kg / 2447 lb
Wingspan: 10.4 m / 34 ft 1 in
Length: 8.75 m / 29 ft 8 in
Height: 3.05 m / 10 ft 0 in
Wing area: 16.5 sq.m / 177.60 sq ft
Max. speed: 310 km/h / 193 mph
Ceiling: 5500 m / 18050 ft
Range: 750 km / 466 miles
Engine: Lycoming GO-435-C2A, 260 hp
Propeller: Hartzell HC-83V20-2C, 3-blade