Piel CP.30 / CP.301 Emeraude / CP.315 Emeraude
Genair Aeriel Mk II
Garland-Bianchi Aircraft Co Linnet
Fairtravel Ltd Linnet
Designed in France by M. Claude Piel, the prototype Emeraude CP 30 was powered by a 65 h.p. Continental engine and first flew in 1952. A later development, designated CP 301A is fitted with a 90 or 100 h.p. Continental engine. The Emerald seats two people side by side and has dual controls. The fuselage is a rectangular wooden framed structure with curved top decking and fabric covering. The fin is built integral with the fuselage. The tailplane is a single spar all wood unit. The rudder and elevator are fabric covered. The wings are of NACA 23012 section. The inner portion of the wing is rectangular, and the outer part elliptical. The leading edge forward of the box type spar, is plywood covered to form a torsion box. The remainder of the wing including the ailerons is fabric covered. Slotted flaps are fitted inboard of the ailerons. The main landing gear utilises rubber in compression, and the tailwheel is mounted on a leaf spring. A 17.6 Imp. gallon fuel tank is located behind the firewall with provision for an auxiliary tank of 8.8 gallons.
The Scintex Emeraude (65-hp. A65 or 90-hp.), designed by M. Claude Piel, this two-seat light monoplane is built under licence by three French companies, of which Scintex-S.A. is the major one.
Scintex SA, a mechanical and electrical equipment manufacturer, held an exclusive license to build improved versions of the Piel Emeraude. Built the CP301C, also in C1, C2 and C3 versions, and the two-seat Super Emeraude with fixed landing gear as the CP1310/CP1315.
The aircraft is also supplied in kit form for amateur construction. Its loaded weight is 1,350 lb. and its cruising speed 122 m.p.h. Range is 590 miles.
Schempp-Hirth KG licenced built Emeraude and Smaragd before passing production to Binder Aviatik KG in 1966. Production began of the CP 301 S Smaragd. Built under license, this aircraft was a deluxe version of the Piel Emeraude.
Durban-based (Genair / General Aircraft (Pty.) Ltd.) built the Piel Emeraude two-seat light aircraft under the name Aeriel Mk II. First prototype flown in October 1959, and first production aircraft in February 1960. Aeriel was subsequently built by Southern Aircraft Construction and Robertson Aircraft Sales, but in September 1962 Durban Aircraft Corporation was formed to continue its construction.
Garland-Bianchi Aircraft Co was formed in 1955 by P. A. T. Garland and D. E. Bianchi to license-build the Piel CP.301 Emeraude two-seat light aircraft, subsequently renamed Linnet. Built two aircraft before a new company, Fairtravel Ltd, was formed by AVM Don Bennett to take over production. Fairtravel Ltd. built three more Linnets, the last being delivered in 1965.
The Garland-Bianchi Linnet first flew at Fair Oaks airfield in August 1958.
The Fairtravel Linnet was selling at £2,395 ex-works, the standard Linnet has a 105 h.p. Continental O-200 engine, full blind-flying panel with venturi-driven, reconditioned instruments, standard 18 Imp gal fuel tank and an indicated cruising speed, using 72 % power at sea level, of 116 mph. Its useful load makes it possible to carry two people, the full optional 28 Imp gal of fuel and 60 lb of luggage or equipment, for a maximum range of 645 miles.
Delivery time of a few weekswas being quoted.
It operates in the normal category at a gross weight of 1,4001b, but the claim is made that it could obtain clearance for aerobatics at a weight limited to 1,2851b, which would still allow two people and normal fuel to be carried.
Flight International flew the first Fairtravel Linnet, G-APRH, at Blackbushe with AVM Bennett and found it corresponded quite closely to the French original.
It achieved its 116 mph cruise speed at 1,000ft. Elevator ttim, worked from a lever between the seats, was so effective that the aircraft could easily be flown with this rather than with the stick. Dual control is standard, but the right stick can be unclipped and stowed. Trim changes following flap movements were virtually cancelled out by a separate elevator trim tab linked with the flaps. Heel brakes and spring-connected tailwheel made ground handling easy. Visibility through the optional sliding canopy (a hard top with doors is standard) was excellent.
Full blind-flying panel as part of the standard aircraft and the electrical system and starter are standard, as are stall warning horn and fuel-boost pump. A heater is standard.
The original Linnet had a short undercarriage, which gave a very flat ground angle, making three-point landings difficult to achieve without touching the tailwheel first. The legs were to be lengthened by 3in in future aircraft.
Engine: Continental, 90 h.p
Span: 26’ 6”
Length: 19’ 9”
Wing Area: 116.7 sq. ft
Empty Weight: 838 lb
Loaded Weight: 1410 lb
Wing Loading: 12.1 lb/sq. ft
Max. Speed: 134 mph
Cruise Speed: 121 mph
Stall Speed: 50 mph
Initial Climb: 785 fpm
Range: 590 miles
Engine: Continental O-200, 105 hp
Span: 26 ft 5 in
Length: 20 ft 9 in
Wing area 116.8 sq.ft
Empty weight 8101b
Gross weight: 1,400 lb
Fuel capacity, standard: 18 Imp gal
Fuel capacity, optional: 28 Imp gal
Wing loading: ll.5 lb/sq.ft
Power loading: 23.31 bhp /sq.ft
Maximum speed: 132 mph
Cruising speed 72% power: 116 mph
Economical cruising speed: 109 mph
Max range 103 mph 28 Imp gal: 643 miles
Take-off run: 900 ft
Take-off to 50ft: 1.500 ft
Landing run: 820 ft