Flown for the first time on 19 December 1942 from the company's Villanova d'AIbegna airfield, the Piaggio P.119 was an all-metal low-wing monoplane single-seat fighter with a slim fuselage. This was made possible by enclosing the 1230kW Piaggio P.XV RC.45 radial engine in the fuselage behind the pilot's fully enclosed cockpit, the three-blade propeller being driven by an extension shaft. The clean lines were broken only by the engine air intake located beneath the fuselage, forward of the wing. It was intended to be re-engined with a RC50 of 1,650hp. Proposed armament was four nose-mounted 12.7mm machine-guns and one 20mm cannon firing through the propeller hub.
Test flights indicated a maximum speed of 620 km/h but the aircraft was plagued by engine vibration problems and after relatively slight damage suffered during a landing accident, on 2 August 1943, further development was abandoned and no attempt made to repair it.
Engine: 1 x Piaggio P.XV RC.45, 1230kW
Max. speed: 620 km/h
Armament: 1 x 20mm cannon, 4 x 12.7mm machine-guns