The SABCA S.40E (E for Ecolage and training) was a military trainer aircraft launch in 1937, and built in Belgium. First flown in 1939, it was a low-wing cantilever monoplane of conventional design with fixed, tailwheel undercarriage. Construction is welded carbon steel, wood. (spruce, Limba and plywood birch), coated in plywood and canvas coated with nitrocellulose. The pilot and instructor sat in tandem cockpits, enclosed by sliding canopies. A single engine driving a two-blade propeller was mounted in the nose. The main undercarriage units were fully independent, mounted under the wings, and enclosed in spats. The landing gear is fitted with long-stroke shock absorbers and wheels hydropneumatic brakes.
The fuel and oil systems and feeding Renault Benagali Pei 4 engine allow the execution of all common acrobatics, normal or inverted flight.
The prototype is registered OO-ATG February 24, 1939 and performs its tests in the hands of Charles Wouters, chief pilot of the company. SABCA, presents it to the Aerospace Military, in April 1939, in Evere, together with Tipsy "M" OO-POM and SV4 OO-ATD. Although a biplane design, the SV4 will go into production as a military trainer.
SABCA presented the S 40 before representatives of the French Air Force on March 14, 1940, at Bricy Orleans, with an S 47. The latter, which damaged on the ground, delayed the return of the two aircraft to Belgium. This incident, however, facilitated its evacuation to Toulouse during the German invasion in May 1940.
SABCA lost all trace of 40E and notified the registration authority by letter on 27 June 1946.
Engine: 1 × Renault 4Pei, 104 kW (140 hp)
Wingspan: 10.20 m (33 ft 6 in)
Wing area: 21 m²
Length: 7.14 m (23 ft 5 in)
Height: 2.40 m (7 ft 11 in)
Empty weight: 780 kg (1,720 lb)
Gross weight: 1,240 kg (2,730 lb)
Maximum speed: 360 km/h (230 mph)
Cruising speed: 226 km / h
Crew: two, pilot and instructor