During 1957, the Sukhoi OKB began construction of the prototype of a new tailed-delta interceptor, the two-seat P-1 (the prefix letter indicating Perekhvatchik, or interceptor) intended to meet a requirement for a fighter equipped with collision-course radar and carrying a mixed armament of guided and unguided missiles plus cannon. Flown on 12 July 1957 by Nikolay Korovushkin, the P-1 had a 57 degree delta wing with dog-tooth leading edges and lateral air intakes with translating centrebodies. Power was provided by an unspecified turbojet with a maximum afterburning thrust of 10600kg and armament included a battery of 50 unguided spin-stabilised 57mm rocket missiles, provision being made for a single 37mm cannon and guided missiles on underwing pylons. Poor engine reliability and serious delay in development of the intended X-band radar led to discontinuation of development of the P-1 on 22 September 1958.
Max take-off weight: 17010 kg / 37501 lb
Wingspan: 9.50 m / 31 ft 2 in
Length: 21.30 m / 70 ft 11 in
Max. speed: 2050 km/h / 1274 mph
Ceiling: 19500 m / 64000 ft
Range: 2000 km / 1243 miles