Sukhoi's T-5 was the result of a study for an alternative propulsion system for the Lyul'ka AL-7 and delayed AL-9 single turbojets. The Su-9 prototype (T-3) was modified with a new rear fuselage with side-by-side arrangement of two Tumanskii R-11F-300 turbojets. First flown on 18 July 1958, tests ended on 1 June 1959. The increased weight of the rear had caused the centre point of gravity to move aft.
First flight of T-5 experimental prototype, by Vladimir Ilyushin, was on 18 July 1958.
T-5 flight tests ended on 1 June 1959.