Star Aircraft Cavalier
The Star Aircraft division of Phillips Petroleum was formed at Bartlesville, Oklahoma in 1928. Designers E.A.Riggs and W.Parker prepared plans for a two-passenger high-wing light private owner aircraft intended for the lower cost end of the market. The advertised cost was $3,450. Three Cavalier A planes were delivered in 1928.
The Cavalier B followed in 1929 fitted with a lower powered 55 hp Velie M-5 engine and 15 examples were sold at $2,895 to owners of more modest means. Single examples of the Cavalier C and D followed. The next to secure modest success was the Cavalier E of 1930 which had a 90 h.p. Lambert and was fitted with a taller, more angular, tail fin. 13 were sold. The last of the Cavalier series was the single F model.
The several Cavalier models served private owners in the touring role until the curtailment of civil flying in the USA in late 1941. Five Cavaliers remain on the U.S. civil aircraft register in mid-2009. Cavalier B N14860 of 1930 was on public display, in airworthy condition, at the Historic Aircraft Restoration Museum at Dauster Field, Creve Coeur, Missouri near St Louis.
1928. 90 h.p. Lambert R-266 5 cylinder radial.
1929/30. 55 h.p. Velie M-5. Some had an 80 h.p. Armstrong Siddeley Genet or 90 h.p. Lambert R-266.
1929. 60 h.p. LeBlond 5D 5 cylinder radial.
1929. 60 h.p LeBlond.
1930. 90 h.p. Lambert R-266 and taller more angular fin.
1930. Warner Junior
Engine: 1 × Velie M-5, 55 hp (41 kW)
Length: 19 ft 11 in (6.07 m)
Wingspan: 31 ft 6 in (9.60 m)
Wing profile: Clark Y
Useful lift: 538 lb ( kg)
Maximum speed: 100 mph (161 km/h)
Cruise speed: 85 mph (137 km/h)
Stall speed: 40 mph (64 km/h)
Range: 500 miles (800 km)
Capacity: 1 passenger