Derived from the Tabloid float seaplane which won the Schneider Trophy contest in April 1914, the Schneider, the single-seat twin-float seaplane ordered into production in November 1914 for the RNAS resembled closely the aircraft that had gained the Trophy at Monaco. Retaining the same 100hp Gnome Monosoupape nine-cylinder rotary - the upper half of which was enclosed by a 'bull-nose'' cowling - and wing-warping lateral control, the Schneider had a larger fin and rudder, reinforced float bracing and an aperture in the centre section for an upward-angled 7.7mm machine gun.
Used for patrol duties against enemy airships from seaplane stations around the British coast, the Schneiders were provided with incendiary ammunition and operated against Zeppelins from early 1915. Schneiders were also carried aboard light cruisers of the North Sea Patrol for anti-Zeppelin operations, and served at the Dardanelles, in the Aegean and in the Eastern Mediterranean. Two Schneiders operated from the carrier Ark Royal in April 1915 at Mudros, and the type was still serving in the Aegean as late as November 1916, one shooting down an enemy aircraft which had attacked the airship shed at Mudros on the 21st of that month.
A total of 136 Schneiders is believed to have been built, progressive development resulting in the Baby.
Max take-off weight: 694 kg / 1530 lb
Wingspan: 7.82 m / 26 ft 8 in
Length: 6.90 m / 23 ft 8 in
Height: 2.97 m / 10 ft 9 in
Wing area: 22.30 sq.m / 240.03 sq ft
Max. speed: 143 km/h / 89 mph