The D III was followed by the D IV, which introduced much aerodynamic refinement for slightly higher speed and still better climb rate. A total of 280 were ordered, but less than 140 D IVs were completed, most entering service after August 1918.
Engine: l x Siemens-Halske Sh.IIIa, 119kW (l60hp)
Span: 8.35m (27ft 4.75in)
Length: 5.7m (18ft 8.5 in)
Max TO weight: 735 kg (1,620 lb)
Max speed: 119 mph
Operational endurance: 2 hr
Armament: 2 x 7.92-mm (0.312-in) LMG 08/15 mg