Main Menu

Lakes Flying Company Seabird

The Lakes Sea Bird was a two-seat floatplane built during 1912 by the Lakes Flying Company using the fuselage of the Avro Duigan. First flown on 28th August 1912, it gave many visitors to Windermere their first flight in the suummer of 1913
After damaging his aircraft and returned to Australia the fuselage and tail unit was sold to the Lakes Flying Co. based at Windermere, who rebuilt it as a two-seat floatplane. The straight parallel-chord high aspect ratio wings of irregular three-by layout resembled those of Avro's Avro Type D. It was originally fitted with a single central two step float, later changed to a pair of narrower floats, and demountable so that the aircraft could readily be used as a landplane. It was powered by a rotary 9-cylinder Gnome of 50 hp (37 kW),
The single Sea Bird carried many holiday makers in 1912-3. Later, it was restored for training and it was ultimately lost when a student pilot spun in in 1915.

Powerplant: 1 × Gnome 9-cylinder rotary, 50 hp (37 kW)
Wingspan: 39 ft 4 in (12.00 m)
Height: 10 ft 6 in (3.2 m)
Wing area: 350 sq.ft (32.5 sq.m)
Length: 29 ft 4 in (8.94 m)
Seats: 2
Maximum speed: 62 mph (100 km/h)
 


Copyright © 2017 all-aero. All Rights Reserved.
Joomla! is Free Software released under the GNU General Public License.