Morse S-4 / S-5
Thomas brothers, backed by Morse Chain Company, built 100 S-4B single-seat biplane advanced trainers developed from Thomas S-4 prototype fighter, followed by 497 improved S-4Cs. Most going to the USAAS but a few also to the US Navy from 1917.
A number of S-4C were powered by 74.5kW Gnome rotary engines, but the vast majority of aircraft produced were 59.6kW Le Rhone-powered S-4C. The designation S-5 was applied to a handful of S-4B fitted with float landing gears and operated by the US Navy.
Engine: 1 x 80hp Le Rhone 9C
Max take-off weight: 623 kg / 1373 lb
Empty weight: 438 kg / 966 lb
Wingspan: 8.08 m / 26 ft 6 in
Length: 6.05 m / 20 ft 10 in
Height: 2.46 m / 8 ft 1 in
Wing area: 21.7 sq.m / 233.58 sq ft
Max. speed: 83 kt / 153 km/h / 95 mph
Ceiling: 4500 m / 14750 ft
Initial climb rate: 826.77 ft/min / 4.2 m/s
Range: 217 nm / 402 km
Armament: 1 x .30CAL 7.62mm machine-gun