Miles M.12 Mohawk
The Miles M.12 Mohawk was a tandem two-seat cabin monoplane, of which only one was completed (G-AEKW), to the requirements of Charles Lindbergh. He needed a fast, long-range touring aircraft for business trips around Europe with his wife.
Built by Phillips and Powis at Woodley Aerodrome, the aircraft was of wooden construction using spruce frames and birch plywood with fabric covering on the tail surfaces with a 200 hp / 149kW Menasco Buccaneer B6S engine. Lindbergh's personal requirements included rudder pedals adjustable for leg length (as he was over six feet tall) and removable seat backs permitting conversion of the seats into a bed if overnighting in remote areas.
The aircraft first flew on 22 August 1936 and was presented by Lindbergh to the British Government at the outbreak of war in 1939. Following Lindbergh’s return to the US the Mohawk was impressed for the RAF as HM503 in November 1941. It saw only limited wartime use as a communications aircraft with Maintenance Command Communications and Ferry Squadrons.
Restored to the civil register in May 1946 it was later converted to open cockpits. While touring Spain , it was written off in a landing accident in January 1950.
The wreck was discovered by Connie Edwards in a Seville scrap yard in December 1973 and removed to the US by Louis Casey in November 1975. The Mohawk was partially restored before being donated to the RAF Museum and restoration was completed at the Michael Beetham Conservation Centre, RAFM Cosford.