Martin & Handasyde F.1
The F.1 two-seat fighter was conceived late in 1915 as a tractor biplane in which the gunner occupied the forward cockpit and stood upright to fire a 7.7mm Lewis gun on a mount built into the upper wing centre section.
Two prototypes were ordered on 16 September 1916 under WO Contract No87/A/435, Serial Numbers A3933 & A3934.
A3933 was tested at CFS Upavon 11.6.17 to 22.7.17 Exp Stn Orfordness, HD Patrol 22.8.17; HD Patrol from Rochford 29.9.17; AP Hendon by April 1918; Hendon 9.4.18; Orfordness 12.4.18; Hendon 1918; RAE Farnborough 21.6.18 last mention 18.3.19 (Petrol system tests)
Powered by a 250hp Rolls-Royce Mk III engine (later to become known as the Eagle III), the F.1 suffered a somewhat protracted development and, by the time that it was officially tested in July 1917, it was already obsolete. Obviously not acceptable for operational use, the F.1 was not further developed.
Max speed, 109 mph (175 km/h) at 6,500 ft (1 980 m)
Time to 10,000 ft (3 050 m), 13.66 min
Endurance, 3.75 hrs
Empty weight, 2,198 lb (997 kg)
Loaded weight, 3,260 lb (1 479 kg)
Span, 44 ft 6 in (13,56 m)
Length, 29 ft 1 in (8,86 m)
Height, 8 ft 6 in (2,59 m)
Wing area, 467 sq ft (43,38 sq.m)